Glen Burnie Gardens

The six-acres of gardens that surround the Glen Burnie House are both impressive and intimate. Designed by MSV benefactor Julian Wood Glass Jr. and his partner at the time, R. Lee Taylor, the creation of these formal gardens began in 1956 and evolved over the latter half of the twentieth century. Today the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley maintains this living collection in a manner that is considerate of the garden creators’ vision for the landscape.

The Glen Burnie Gardens invite discovery and were designed to support formal entertaining. Two crab apple Allées─the majestic Grand Allée and the intimate Pleached Allée─are highlights for all visitors, especially during their annual spring bloom. Boxwood plantings are present throughout the site and create the Parterre Garden and Knot Garden. The Rose Gardens are comprised of nearly four hundred individual plants, and the Perennial Garden presents flowers planted in mirroring patterns, with varieties of dahlias providing fall interest. The Vegetable Garden is planted in a formal pattern that changes annually.

The landscape also includes a garden of Asian influences and a Water Garden, where golden trout swim in a spring-fed pond and water cascades down a natural embankment. The Pink Pavilion and Fountain Courtyard, frequently used for entertaining, are also visitor favorites. In addition, the historic Wood and Glass Family Cemetery is part of the landscape.

Currently undergoing a multi-year restoration project, the Glen Burnie Gardens are open for self-guided tours from April through October.